Austra-Lanka Muslim Association (ALMA) is incorporated as a non-profit making community organization in New South Wales , Australia . It was founded in 1992 by a few God fearing members whose motive was to promote Islamic values among the increasing number of Muslim population in Australia.
Main objectives of ALMA are:
- To promote the practice and principles of the Islamic religion
- To conserve and foster Islamic culture and beliefs
- To promote all matters concerning the cultural and spiritual well being of Australian Muslims of Sri Lankan origin.
- To encourage members to be good and useful citizens of Australia
- To promote co-operation between the Association and all other organizations promoting similar objects
- To encourage participation and contribution to the socio-cultural development of Australia
- To provide counselling and other assistance within the scope and limitations of the Association, to members in need.
- To provide moral and material assistance to new migrants of Sri Lankan Muslim origin.
- To speak and make representations on behalf of Australian Muslims of Sri Lankan origin on all such matters affecting their
- i. Religious, social, cultural and educational welfare
- ii. Human rights
- To promote and maintain unity and friendship among the Muslims and between them and other communities in or outside Australia
- Initiatives on above objects shall be in accordance with the guidance of the Qur'an and Sunnah.